Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Nicole by OPI Walmart Exclusives--Swatches and Thoughts


I was roaming around the beauty department in Walmart last weekend, though I truly had no business being there, when I came across three new Nicole by OPI shades.

Best Pink Ever, The Gold Shoulder, Fabulous is My Middle Name

I hadn't seen or heard of these, but I have no qualms about buying polishes swatches unseen, especially when glitter is involved. When I got home I did a google search and found that they are Walmart exclusives that came out this month.

Let's start with The Gold Shoulder.


It's rather sheer so I used three coats to reach bottle color. It does lean rather silver on me but it does have a good amount of gold shimmer in it. Mine just settled to the bottom. I'd say this is a gold that would work well with cooler skin tones. As you can see in the pic I'm holding the bottle upside down so that I can encourage the gold shimmer to mix in. I did a fourth coat after I left the bottle upside down for a while.


It reminded me of OPI Designer de Better from the Muppets collection, so I did a little comp.

L-R: The Gold Shoulder, Designer de Better, The Gold Shoulder, Designer de Better
The bases are similar but Designer de Better has larger coppery shimmer particles in it, whereas the golden shimmer in The Gold Shoulder is much finer. I'd say they're different enough to own both.

Next up Fabulous is My Middle Name. This is three coats on its own. It's a multicolored bar glitter with teeny tiny silver glitters mixed in! This shocked me because the glitter is so fine and dense I didn't even realize that it was a bar glitter until I got it home and started swatching. There's fuchsia, red, blue and gold bar glitters in this rounded out with the tiny silver glitters. This is indeed fabulous!

I freaking love this. I'm not the biggest fan of bar glitters, but the glitters are tiny and dense enough to get you full coverage and I love that in a glitter. Keep in mind you will have to use the edge of your brush to tap any stray glitters on the ends of your nails back in line, but that's no big deal to me.

Here's one coat of Fabulous is My Middle Name over The Gold Shoulder.


And one coat over black. I used American Apparel Hassid.  


Now we have what the people over at Nicole by OPI named Best Pink Ever. Seriously that's the name of the polish.


I can't say that I agree with them. The formula on this is super sheer. It took four coats to get a decent looking swatch out of this and in real life there was visible nail line all over the place--and I'm not a fan of that. And you see all that golden duo looking goodness at the bottom of the bottle? It's nowhere to be found on the nail.


It does have a nice blue shimmer running through it and I do like the fuchsia base. I just wish it weren't so sheer and I want that golden shift that I was so captivated by from the bottle. Maybe it'll do better layered on top of a similarly colored creme, but really if your name is going to be 'Best Pink Ever' you should be able to stand on your own.

I paid $7 a bottle for these. Have you guys seen them at your local Walmart? If you happen across them I'd say definitely pick up Fabulous is My Middle Name. The Gold Shoulder is nice to have as well. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment