Wednesday, November 9, 2011

31 Days of Manis: Day 9: Taste the Rainbow

Hey guys! It's Day 9, Rainbow nails day. I'm no good with freehand nail art, so I opted for a rainbow skittles mani using tape!
Oh look it's my rarely seen thumb!
I started with a base of one of my favorite glitters of all time OPI, Spark de Triomphe. It was a part of one of the Glam Slam! France duos OPI released with Serena Williams in May. It has a mix of large silver and gold hex glitter and smaller silver and gold square glitter. This glitter right here...this glitter right here....y'all. I even bought a backup. And I'm seriously considering getting a third.

I did two coats here and topped it off with one coat of Gelous base coat (it helps it to not "eat" my top coat and give you a smooth surface to work with) and then I added one coat of Seche Vite to speed the drying process.

I pulled out a bunch of jelly/sheer polishes and some tape and got to work!

L-R: Wet n Wild Everybody Loves Redmond, OPI Y'all Come Back Ya Hear?, Milani Lemongello, Sinful Colors Irish Green Revlon Royal, Milani Rad Purple
Index: Wet n Wild Everybody Loves Redmond & OPI Y'all Come Back Ya Hear? Middle: Milani Lemongello & Sinful Colors Irish Green. Ring: Revlon Royal & Milani Rad Purple.

I love how you still get to see the glitter underneath the colors. I painted in ROYGBIV order, using tape to get a straight line down the middle. I put the tape down the center of my nail leaving one half exposed. Then I paint with my color of choice.

I pull the tape off as soon as I'm satisfied with the color payoff, rather than waiting for it to dry. This usually gives me a cleaner line.Once that half of the nail was dry, I carefully painted the other half making sure not to overlap the straight edge from the tape.

Tip: stick the tape on your hand and lift it up a few times to take off some of the stickiness before you stick it on your nail. This will help with removal and prevent the tape from pulling up the polish underneath.

For my thumb and pinky nails I used Milani Gems and China Glaze Liquid Leather.


I love how you can see some of the gold shine through even on the Liquid Leather part of the nails.

L, Kisten and  Katherine have been knocking this challenge out of the park, so I know their Rainbow nails are fierce. Tomorrow we take on Gradient Nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment